Sunday 29 May 2011

The day I became an “Ahmadi”

28 May 2010.

I was about to eat lunch in my office’s conference room with two friends. A colleague walked in asking if I knew there had been an attack on the Ahmadi mosque in Garhi Shahu. I checked my phone but there was no sms or missed call. I told him he must be mistaken but got up anyway to turn on the television; as I was walking out of the room, he mentioned that the Model Town mosque had been attacked too. 

The news hit me with a sheer, naked wave of panic. My brother goes there for prayers. Half of my family goes there on Friday.

Trying not to lose control, I ran outside to the reception area and called my brother, half dreading that his phone would be off. He didn't pick up. When I finally got through to him, he was clueless about what was happening. I told him to switch on the tv, get in touch with everyone and started making frantic calls myself.

This is how the nightmare began.

During the next half hour news kept trickling through my phone of family members, friends and relatives stuck in either of the two mosques. Among them was a cousin's son, my 11 year old nephew. He was alone inside the Model Town mosque, his father stuck outside the gate. I saw the father on television arguing with the policemen standing on the road to do something. There was a wild look on his face which only a parent can have for their child. I broke down just a bit.

It was the first of many times I would in the next few weeks.

Minutes and hours passed. Friends and colleagues started calling and messaging. It was a couple of hours before we found out who had survived and who hadn't in the Model Town attack. The news of relatives and friends who died at the Garhi Shahu attack kept arriving late into that Friday evening. Five of my cousins/relatives were inside the mosques. Three survived, including the 11 year old kid. Among the 86 people who died that day, I still cannot bring myself to count the number of friends we lost. My family spent the next three days attending funeral prayers in Rabwah and Lahore. They had to split in three groups so they could attend all of them. 

What I didn’t know that weekend was that 28 May, horrific in what it brought, was just a preliminary signal of what was about to come; a slight shift in the barricade which would  later give way to an avalanche. The aftermath of the attacks would change my perception of who I was and alienate me from the only place I knew as my home.

Contrary to my appearance, I'm not a religious person. Religion does not guide or govern my life; humanism and spirituality does. I have grown up in a household startlingly different than who I am. It is where everything revolves around "us"—the community. Having lived through the upheaval of the 1950s, the betrayal of the 1970s and the horror of the 1980s, my parents and siblings have evolved a very strong sense of unity among "ourselves." Everyone else is an outsider, to be met, befriended, and supported in time of need, but never trusted completely when we are the ones who need help and support.

The 1990s—during which active persecution of the Ahmadis dropped down dramatically compared to the preceding decades—is the decade I remember in entirety. It is the time of my childhood and teenage. I was sent to education institutions where religion was never a subject of discussion. Till I entered college, we friends did not even know which school of belief the other subscribed to. Due to such precise exposure to the world, I did not identify with how my family perceived the society. I did not understand why everyone thought "we" had only "ourselves" to rely on. I used to tell my parents repeatedly that the era they had seen was more or less over. They needed to let go of the paranoia, step out of their safety net and become inclusive. The “social circle” of 50 people I was safely tucked into kept me removed from reality. It took the death of 86 people for that illusion to vanish.

After the May attacks, something strange happened. I saw how my family mourned the loss. I saw how the community handled the aftermath. I saw the silent suffering, the absolute trust in God, the defiant resolve to take care of our own. But more shocking was how I reacted to the events. I was glued to the television and newspapers that weekend, just trying to get as much information as I could—to make sense of it all. (I had been so used to the obsessive censorship of anything Ahmadi in the media my entire life. It was a bit surreal to see “us” being discussed so openly in the media.) I thought about all the families of terror victims and wondered if they also went through the sense of shock and disorientation I was feeling. But slowly I started realising how my experience will always remain different from the other victim families. The reason was that my state, constitution, judiciary and a significant portion of the public had historically been on the opposing side—against me.

The breakdown was rapid and uncontrollable. Discussing the event dispassionately and logically was an ordeal. There was an overwhelming outpour of love and solidarity from my friends and colleagues. I heard from people I hadn’t been in touch with for years, who just called, emailed or messaged to share their horror and give their support.  But among this startling generosity and affection, I began noticing things which I hadn’t picked on before. The shifting, uncomfortable eyes and frozen smiles; absent family members who never called to check if we were alive; acquaintances, even former teachers, who were vocal about the floatzilla incident, but quiet when directly asked about the attacks on facebook; the polite but firm refusal of distant relatives to eat or drink anything when they came to visit our house. All these observations were cemented in my mind when I heard about those more vocal (and frankly less hypocritical) about their feelings. Almost all my friends were witness to at least one person who approved the attack. There were numerous more who condemned the attacks but tried to justify them by shifting the blame on us.

I felt like a soft target waiting to be shot in the head because of what I chose to believe. No matter whom I spoke to, how sympathetic or rationale he or she was, no one understood my confusion, fear and broken trust. During this time I started to understand the reason for my family’s defensive approach. That’s when I realised how important it was for us to stick together as a unit.
One year has passed since the attacks. The panic and heart ache I felt the first few months is no longer there. An involuntary apathy and alienation has taken its place. I feel hollow debating and discussing possible ways we can help save this country. It is difficult to own a country where we still have to ask the basic questions: are we Pakistani citizens? Do we have a right to life? 

Admittedly these are the same questions many liberals have now found themselves seeking answers for, especially after Salman Taseer’s death. But the questions pose a stronger existential threat to us.

I know even if we—the citizens—succeed in saving this country from the violent extremists, there probably won’t be anyone who will save us—the Ahmadis—from those who are left behind. And I’m not willing to wait around to find out which of these two outcomes will be our end.

40 comments:

  1. A brilliant blogpost, BushraS. Please continue to write more about the issue. Very few people do write so well and rarely are they so wonderfully clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Zakintosh Thank you for your extremely kind words Zakintosh. I'm so glad the first comment was not a hate message :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a non-ahmadi but I have always respected and admired their fantastic organization, their supreme discipline and their peaceful approach. That fateful day brought me even more closer to this community. I may not agree with their principles but it would be grossly immoral to shred the robe of humanity when they suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Red Attache You are absolutely right. That is one area where people fail to detach their beliefs from their humanity. We don't have to agree with others to treat them as equal citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really depressing, always feel sympathy for the people of this countries esp the religious minorities. For me religion has yet to contribute anything useful to this world, it will always serve as a dividing point between people and will always be a tool to be exploited by political mullahs.
    Keep writing about this issue with the hope that maybe you can make some difference to this religious intolerant society. Wishing you best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank You! All Pakistani are going though these kinds of pains lately, but unfortunately Ahmedis more so. This 'jihalat' will end soon, inshaAllah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My questions to you:

    Do you accept that ahmadis are non muslim according to pakistani law and islamic scholars of all sects. all over the world?

    Do you accept that non muslims don't have equal rights in a muslim state to the muslims?

    Are you willing to disclose openly to the people around you that you are non muslim (ahmadi) when you meet them rather they find out later or may not find out ever?

    Are you willing to stop deceiving common people who due to your name, actions and way of worship think that you are muslim?

    I strongly condemn any hate actions against any minority but being a minority you have responsibility to disclose yourself according to law and accept the law of the land. Only after this you can ask for your due rights in a muslim state and society.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @drxyz289

    drxyz289 oh please, I am not an Ahmedi but I find your questionnaire offensive all all levels. Who are we to judge others as Muslims or not. How do we know what is in their hearts. The law of lands you refer to are a horrible attempt by a dictator to prolong his rule by getting ultra-conservative folks on his side - by spreading hatred, of course. Allah took care of that horrible General.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew someone (drxyz) was gonna call you out on your muslim-ness soon enough. See, you have to realize this. God appointed people like dr xyz to go around telling people how to practice their religion and passing verdicts on their faith. Because obviously, persecution and bloodshed doesnt really cut it, you have to actually go to the ahmedi blogs and "make them confess" their non-muslimness to be a TRUE servant of God.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @scarlethawk

    BTW considering what we do to minorities, I can understand why they don't necessarily would want to broadcast and trumpet their status.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @drxyz289 I do not accept that Ahmadis are non-Muslims. Like scarlethawk said, I do not believe anyone, especially the state, has a right to decide who is a Muslim or not. You all other questions become moot in this light.

    Also, I have never actively hidden my identity by lying or omission. However if you ask whether I go around with a placard around my neck, I do not.

    @scarlethawk @himgrim @Shero: Thank you for so much for your support and words of encouragement. There is such scarcity of debate on this particular issue, whatever little we can do goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @BushraS eloquent response! It's the @drxyz289 type of ignorance, intolerance, and hate-mongering that got us to where we are.

    ReplyDelete
  13. impressive and hearttouching...i knw a lot of people justify all dis even those who r educated lot....but i seriously think we shuld stop bringing religious affilitions in humanity...the 1st thng all religions tell is to respect other human beings...but unfortunatly no where it is followed

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dr xyz: How do you sleep at night? Does your humanity ever knock at your heart?

    Essentially you are saying non-Muslims have less rights in a 'Muslim state', whatever that is, since nation states are a much later concept anyway. Not even Saudi Arabia takes jizya today.

    Also, are any of your relatives living peacefully as Muslims in the west? I hope they get bombed and harrassed to death for their mere existence, then i'll see how you scream foul.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate to say this but sometimes I feel that some are right when they say religion infects everything. When we unnecessarily involve religion in our decisions, we are unconsciously poisoning our judgement. I am a human first and foremost.

    When humans try to mimic the Almighty, trouble usually gets nearer and nearer and that is what has happened in case of Ahmedis. They are right when they say nobody has the right to decide who is a muslim and who isn't? Everyone should mind their own business.

    That is where life as an atheist or an agnostic generates its highness that humanity is supreme.

    As Thomas Paine said,
    'The world is my country and humanity is my religion'

    ReplyDelete
  16. EXELLENT POST ABOUT THAT TOPIC.
    LOVE 4 ALL HATRED FOR NONE...

    ReplyDelete
  17. it is our business to know who is a muslin n who is not so that we can spread awareness and bring the wronged to the right path. and it is not the govt; to decide who are Muslims and who are not but Allah's commands and revelation state quite clearly the belief's of a Muslim. We know our Aaqaid n therefore know who is against it is not a Muslim.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @drxyz289

    Do you accept that ahmadis are non muslim according to pakistani law and islamic scholars of all sects. all over the world?

    • NO ... I know of many Muslims (including scholars!) who don't think it is justified for a state to decide who is a Muslim or not! Also, in large non-Muslim states with a large number of Muslims they are not considered non-Muslims, since there is neither an identity card or a passport that would call them this. And they use their passports to go wherever they want, without Pakistani or other states calling them Muslim/non-Muslim.

    Do you accept that non muslims don't have equal rights in a muslim state to the muslims?

    • Perhaps. That may be one of the problems of having a state called a Muslim state. The country should not indulge in a debatable issue.

    Are you willing to disclose openly to the people around you that you are non muslim (ahmadi) when you meet them rather they find out later or may not find out ever?

    • I am not an Ahmadi (or a Sunni or a Shia!) and NO, I have no reason to think that when I meet someone I must understand what part of faith or non-faith they belong to.

    Are you willing to stop deceiving common people who due to your name, actions and way of worship think that you are muslim?

    • How do these people's names tell you that they are Muslims or Christians: Havva Khatoon, Sorayya Begum, Imtiaz Maseeh, Niha Maseeh? Actually 3 are Christians and one - a Maseeh - is a Muslim. Born one. Is a Syed … and lives in India.

    I strongly condemn any hate actions against any minority but being a minority you have responsibility to disclose yourself according to law and accept the law of the land. Only after this you can ask for your due rights in a muslim state and society.

    • Good luck to you ... We hope to argue against this everywhere and try and change the law. If we can't until your generation stays on, that's fine. We'll hope that when you are no longer around, and neither am I, somebody will manage to change it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Sarah

    if it is your business to know who is a muslim and who is not, then you are setting a very dangerous precedent my dear. today there are 72 sects of Muslims and everyone says that there is a right path. what gives you the right to bring me to the right path? may be you are on the wrong one and mine is the right one? by the way according to Holy Prophet (PBUH) anyone who calls himself a Muslim though his word of mouth is a Muslim.(Bukhari, hadith 377) the occassion of this event was a census in Medina and that's how muslims were counted. just by saying themselves that they are muslims. in another hadith he said that "whoever says the same kalima as us, pray to the same qibla as us, eat from the same zahiba as us, such a one is a Muslim. to protect such a person is a matter of obligation for God and his messenger. so make sure that you don't violate the obligation from God (bukhari hadith 391). I don't understand why Muslims just don't follow the basic common sense teachings of Islam but would love to go into controversial issues of fiqah, qiyas, and what not.

    and by the way, nobody said Osama was not a muslim, or Taliban are not muslims when clearly whatever they are doing is wrong. they call themselves muslims and we can't do anything about it. but Ahmadis par sab charh jatay hain....

    ReplyDelete
  20. @BushraS: Kudos for writing so honestly and fearlessly.
    @Drxyz and Sara: Maybe if you could entertain for a millisecond the notion that religion and religious identity are NOT the be-all end-all of all existence, you could get over yourselves and this ludicrous concept of 'Muslimness'. Forget Muslim, just try being a decent human being for a day, you might find it to be pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @scarlethawk I think you need to read the history. Ahmadies were declared non muslim by Parliament who was democratically elected with the mandate to make Pakistani Constitution. Parliament debated this issue and Ahmadies were also invited to represent themselves but they chose not to defend themselves. So the democratically elected parliament, PPP government and Prime Minister Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto are responsible for this article in constitution which declared ahmadis non muslim. After this, muslim scholars of all sects. and countries agreed on this and according to the Islamic traditions ahmadis are declared non muslim and this is for everywhere now by (Ijmaa) a term used in islamic traditions in which a ruling becomes valid if the all the ulema's of a time period validate the ruling.

    ReplyDelete
  23. @drxyz289

    In South Africa apartheid was practiced and was instituted by an elected government too. Didn't mean it was the right thing.

    Also, while Bhutto started the Ahmedi persecution, it wasn't until the General Zia's regime that they were forced into misery to prolong his dictatorship.

    Shame on you if you continue to think they (or any minority) should be treated as 2nd class.

    Scarlethawk (aka the new Bolshevik)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just to avoid anyone getting mislead, This is NOT UZi, not at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I salute BushraS for writing such an honest and humane blog. She speaks for all of us who want to see Pakistan free of brutality and discrimination. The stupid and savage laws and practices making people suffer due to their religious, political or sexual beliefs or their ethnic or linguistic background are going to be scrapped one day. All of us must work for it so that the day comes sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you so much everyone for your kind words and support. As I've said elsewhere, I was unsure about putting it up and thought about it for a whole day. The reason why I eventually chose to share it was because there is such overwhelming censorship about this topic in mainstream media. More than that, it is very rare we hear personal accounts of people who are directly effected by such blatant persecution. The least I could, and have tried to, do is give a human face to an almost taboo identity.

    @Zak, I'm grateful for your detailed response to drxyz. Your last paragraph gave me goosebumps. It is people like you, and everyone else who's taken time out to defend/support the idea of equality on this forum, which is a source of added strength for me.

    @scarlethawk: your comment made me laugh out loud. Many thanks for specifically mentioning your identity :)

    @Sarah and @dryx: Zak couldn't have said it better and I can't articulate it more effectively, so I'll just paste his response:

    "Good luck to you ... We hope to argue against this everywhere and try and change the law. If we can't until your generation stays on, that's fine. We'll hope that when you are no longer around, and neither am I, somebody will manage to change it!"

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jazakallah. You said what I always thought and didn't know how to say in the form of words. I will never, ever see the world and it's people the way I used to... Will always feel alienated, and now I realize how hard it is to actually act upon "Love for all, Hatred for none."

    ReplyDelete
  28. Drxyz has preferred to keep her (his) identity secret. I hope (s)he is not a healthcare professional, because if (s)he asks such mindless and offensive questions of her (his) patients before administering medical treatment to them, her (his) proper place is a reform facility (as an inmate by the way, not a reformer. The reason is that it is no business of a doctor to try to extract such personal information from her (his) patients.

    This is relevant in the case of the state as well. Because a state exists on the premise that it would provide ALL its citizens access to its resources without negative discrimination on the basis of their religious, ideological or sexual orientation, gender, or ethnic, racial, linguistic or other markers of their identity.

    A state is not an individual human being but a collective system devised and used by all members of a society. And therefore it cannot justifiably be supposed to have attributes that only an individual human can have. For example, a state cannot be called Muslim or non-Muslim, veg or non-veg, gay or straight, and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Quoting selective history is a shallow argument. The Ahmedi riots of the 50’s and 60’s resulted in the Munir report, freely now available on line. Justice Munir was assigned the task to find a solution to this issue. He asked all the Ulema of all sects to come in and give there definition of a Muslim, and the punishment of for those who are declared non Muslim. All the famous ‘ulema’ included Moududi, had their say. The end result was this. In Munir’s opinion, every ulema differed in his definition of a Muslim. He said that if he followed their opinion, than all residents of Pakistan would be declared non Muslim, and eventually be ‘wajib-ul-Qatal’. Thus this matter should remain in divine hands, and we shouldn’t debate it further.

    And if all the Ulema of the world agreed to Ahmedis being non Muslim, than why are we one of 3 off 57 odd Muslim countries that say so? Are Pakistanis more ‘divinely guided’ than others ? Do you have a hotline to God?


    That report is the most comprehensive study on this issue. However, as we tend not to learn from history, politically expedient leaders and dictators made a mess of things in the future. My sympathies with the author, whose family has suffered due to the silence of the majority and barbarity of a few.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You are right, we have to stick as one, one nation and nothing else...those who thought this attack on ahmedis was justified are totally totally wrong....i ask u not to pay heed to such comments and ignore them.

    On the other hand, we pakistanis are being tragetted every single day nowadays not ahmedis, just us pakistanis, which may include muslims, ahmedis, christians, whatever...i think we need to stick as one, not isolate ourselves or sympathise with one group. The whole country here is at stake, the whole nation suffers...

    ReplyDelete
  31. BushraS....
    Events like that should make us more strong from the inside! Lucky are those people, who die in the name of God. Yes, it is indeed sad for those who are left behind but then again only this should be enough to make them strong (and they are!)
    Lets pray to God that we do not lag behind in anything that would lead us to God. Because in the end, how you left the world is all that matters.

    Frankly, i'm not even bothered about what people say behind my back or how people treat me generally because while they're busy in doing petty things I'm focusing hard on getting more rewards for myself in the 'akhirat'...

    It not just the Ahmadies who are suffering, the whole Pakistan is in a crisis these days. Everybody please set aside your prejudices and work together for Pakistan. Please BE HONEST in your own work, if all of us do just that, things would start rolling eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Bushra,
    I feel sorry for what has happend at Garhi Shahu and Model Town. Please accept my condolences for the loss of your dear ones.
    Islam was never the religion of extremists, neither the Prophet Mohammad (S.A.W.W) did ever gave any version of Islam which did not have tolerance for others. Even if Muslims think that you are wrong, they have no right in Islam to use force against you. Remember, the one who attacks others for having different believes actually does not have any reason to present.
    The version of Islam Taliban and Al-Qaeeda have bascially came from the people who only had an opinion to kill anyone who was thinking / acting against their will (even to kill Prophet Mohammad S.A.W.W himself when they used to be pagans themselves).
    I am not trying to say her that who is wrong and who is right. What I am trying to say that religious, political, social and racial extremism is found every where in the world. In fact world has never seen an age where there did not exists such extremist activities. You have ventured to differ and you have to face the consequences. Perhaps this can never be stopped...

    ReplyDelete
  33. You have aptly described the horror and disbelief that all of us went through that day. Gosh! Just thinking about it brings back all the devastation that occurred that day. Please continue writing on similar issues, then may be we can also voice our dilemmas. I am also someone like you who had a husband and father taken hostage that day. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sad to say but Ahmedis are Non Muslims because they do not believe in the very basic of a very important islamic belief. Good post though.

    ReplyDelete
  35. @RYou are entitled to your opinion, and yes it is an opinion whether you admit it or not.
    But thank you for appreciating the post. I hope it helped you understand the emotional/psychological trauma minorities in Pakistan are exposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  36. @BushraS

    we liked your articles, if you are interested in writing for Rabwah Times please contact.
    info@rabwahtimes.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great post Bushra.. and after reading a couple on your blog I've really become a fan. I just hope you don't lose your "human" focus anytime in your life.. and wish Pakistan had more of such voices!
    All the very Best!

    ReplyDelete
  38. A nice but cunning way to preach your thoughts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. @Anonymous preach my thoughts? this was an experience which i shared. there was no preaching involved. but i guess if you read it with an already prejudiced mind, you can interpret anything.

    ReplyDelete
  40. True reflections of what was faced by us during the whole situation. Same situations are faced by us living in Rbw every time a victim's body arrives for funeral. Wishing for peace to prevail in our society.

    ReplyDelete